Searching for a voip provider

Posted by Anton-io! | 4:52 PM | | 1 comments »

Today I seriously started my *new* voip provider search

I've had enough of not being able to get inbound calls for weeks and being disconnected during calls from my current provider. At one time, the service was better. (No names please)

Some people claim that the quality of calls has gotten better ...
"Why wouldn't it, when there is no-one using the network!!!" was the comment I heard one time.

3 companies came up on my radar.

My prime objectives being able to call forward, conference call and have reliable voice-mail.

It was interesting to find some companies offering with some really *cool* online account management features. On this point alone I almost signed up.

Why voip?

It's pretty sweet knowing your call is being routed many different ways on the Internet to get to your calling destination.

It's about new technology and being able to say "Yeah I was there when it was in it's infancy!"

Technology aside, cost wise, it just makes sense.

Why pay for extras like voicemail, caller ID, call forwarding and more when in most cases it's all included.

The search begins

Let's do it the traditional way and weed through the hype and in-coherency of web site navigation, I've got some serious questions here:

- Can you port a number over?
- How about additional virtual numbers in other cities?
- Can I get a toll-free number because business is booming?
- What are the start-up costs & am I locked in a contract?

To answer these questions I pick up the phone and start calling

Company A:
Ring ring, push button 1, push button 2, wait, push button 1 again, placed on hold ...
You made me push all these buttons to be placed on hold?
Why not just tell me you're busy right up-front and call me back?
Click

Company B:
Sorry I don't understand you ingleesh

Company C:
You advertise VoIP in your ads but you don't provide voip service, hehehe, you only install voip equipment I've never heard of and I still need to find a voip provider?
Can you at least recommend someone you have set up service with recently?
Click

Company D wins because I was able talk to someone who was able to answer all my questions within 5 minutes of the call. "Yes we can do this, no we can not offer that". Services were outlined, prices were quoted and technical knowledge was there.

Best of all, there was no real push to sign up and grab my Corona-Cash.

Did I sign up?

Not quite yet, waiting on a few options, but you sure can guess who I remembered and talked about today and who more likely will get my business and future referrals.


Answering incoming calls is important for any business.

It's funny how some companies wonder why their sales are not increasing when there's no one really there to answer the calls coming in.

Coddle your leads, they'll bring you more if you treat them right

1 comments

  1. Anton-io! // April 8, 2008 at 9:31:00 PM PDT  

    The search has ended and a Canadian providor has been found. The same day of signup, Linksys VoIP router was shipped out, number porting information submitted, new account information sent.
    Very nice